Under California law, manufacturers, distributors and corporations have a responsibility to ensure their products are safe for consumer use. Unfortunately, many companies and manufacturers release defective products that injure consumers. When that happens, the people who are involved in the design, manufacturing and sale of that product can - and should - be held accountable for the harm it caused.
At Corsiglia, McMahon & Allard, LLP, our product liability attorneys believe in holding negligent and irresponsible manufacturers accountable for their actions. We know we can protect our injured clients and the community at-large from harmful and defective products through aggressive litigation. Our lawyers are skilled negotiators who can help you collect maximum compensation if you’ve been injured by a defective product.
We aren’t afraid of large corporations and their legal teams. Our aggressive litigation approach has enabled us to collect millions of dollars for our clients who have suffered because of unscrupulous and reckless manufacturing and marketing decisions. Some of our successful cases include a$700,000 settlement of a lawsuit brought against a major car manufacturer by a young woman who sustained a serious head injury due to a defective locking device.
We also obtained a $500,000 settlement against a printing press manufacturer for a printer who lost two fingers on a defective device.
More than 4,200 products are recalled each year in the U.S. The problem is, many recalls happen after people have already been injured. For example, defective toys were responsible for 262,300 injuries to children in 2011 and resulted in 13 deaths. These injuries could have been prevented had manufacturers clearly labeled their products and vigorously tested their parts for safety.
At Corsiglia, McMahon & Allard, LLP, our product liability attorneys have successfully represented individuals who have sustained serious injuries because of a defective product, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Leg and knee injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Back injuries
- Birth injuries
At Corsiglia, McMahon & Allard, LLP, our product liability lawyers have handled cases involving all types of defective products, including:
- Consumer Products - any type of product can harm consumers if it’s not manufactured or designed correctly. From choking injuries to electrocution injuries, products that harm consumers should be recalled, removed from the market and the manufacturer held responsible. Under California law, retailers or anyone else in the “chain of commerce” is also responsible for the injuries caused by faulty products.
- Children’s Toys - Children’s toys must be vigorously tested and able to withstand normal use at the intended age level. From toxic lead paint exposure to dangerously mislabeled toys, companies that fail to provide adequate warning to parents should be held accountable.
- Auto Products - In the third quarter of 2018, the U.S. auto industry increased its gross profits by 35 percent. However, profit often comes at the cost of public safety. From defective tires to improperly manufactured accelerators, the auto industry recalled a staggering 53.1 million vehicles in the United States in 2016.
- Electrical Equipment - When construction or industrial equipment contains an electrical defect, you can sustain serious and life-threatening injuries on the job or at home. Our attorneys can examine all aspects of your accident to determine if electrical defects were to blame for your injuries.
- Recreational & Sports Equipment - when your recreational or sporting equipment fails, it could have disastrous and fatal consequences. From improperly manufactured helmets and all-terrain vehicles to exercise and hunting equipment, recreational products are the most likely consumer good to cause injury.
When a defective product causes injury, it’s important to have an experienced product liability lawyer review your case immediately. In general, there are three types of product defects that can result in a product liability case:
- Design Defect - when a product has been poorly designed or engineered, it can cause significant injury. Products that were not properly tested often contain inherent flaws.
- Manufacturing Defect - If the product is designed properly but the defect occurred in the manufacturing of the product, then it is a manufacturing defect.
- Marketing Defect - Companies have a responsibility to market their products in a safe manner. Marketing a product without sufficient warning labels, promoting off-label use of a product or not giving consumers clear instructions to help avoid injuries are all examples of a marketing defect.
Large companies, corporations- and manufacturers often have large legal teams that work diligently to reduce their liabilities, so you need someone on your side who isn’t afraid to go toe-to-toe with them and win. At Corsiglia, McMahon & Allard, LLP, our San Jose product liability attorneys will protect your right to receive maximum compensation.
To learn more about how we can assist you and your family, call us at 408-289-1417 to schedule a free consultation. One of our attorneys will meet with you personally. No matter where you’re located – we’re here to help. Locations served: San Jose | Santa Clara County | San Francisco Bay Area | Northern California.