Could the Mold in My Workplace Be Hazardous to My Health?
Mold can be found in millions of buildings across the United States. Homes and commercial buildings alike can be affected by mold, which is a type of multi-cellular fungus. Mold can be found inside and outside and when an individual is exposed to mold, he or she can suffer adverse health effects. Like with asbestos, lead, and other toxic materials that can be found in the workplace, prolonged mold exposure can cause a worker to become ill and need to take time off work to recover. If the mold exposure could have been prevented by the worker's employer taking action to remove it, the worker can file a workplace accident claim to seek compensation for his or her damages, which may include medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses associated with the illness like lost promotion opportunities and the need to hire a caretaker while recovering.What Causes Mold?
Because mold is a living organism, all it needs are moisture and oxygen. Generally, mold appears when moisture reaches building materials and creates an environment in which the mold can grow. Mold can go unaddressed for years, especially in places where it is not easily detected.
Be aware of roof and wall leaks because these are places where mold can easily grow. When mold does grow, clean the area where you find it completely with soap and water and allow it to dry completely.Health Issues Associated with Mold Exposure
Workers who have been exposed to mold for an extended period of time may suffer from:
- Allergic reactions;
- Respiratory problems;
- Throat irritation;
- Chest tightness;
- Sinus congestion
- Sneezing; and
- Fungal infection.
Although there is no way to completely rid an indoor space of mold spores, you can speak to your supervisor about minimizing the mold's effect on you and your colleagues and taking steps to contain it. Reduce the amount of moisture in the area where the mold grew. You can do this by ventilating the area, using exhaust fans in rooms like bathrooms and kitchens where there tends to be a lot of moisture, and using dehumidifiers and air conditioners.
If you suffer from one or more of the symptoms above and think it could be linked to the mold present in your workplace, seek medical attention to have your condition diagnosed. If your doctor determines that you are suffering because of preventable mold exposure, speak with a workplace accident attorney about filing a mold exposure claim.Work With a San Jose Workplace Accident Attorney
If you have suffered adverse health effects because of exposure to mold or another substance in your workplace, consider working with a member of our team of experienced San Jose workplace injury lawyers at Corsiglia, McMahon & Allard, L.L.P. today to work with us determine the right course of action for pursuing compensation. We proudly serve clients throughout the Bay Area, San Mateo County, Alameda County, San Benito County, Monterey County, and Santa Clara County.Sources