Lauren A. Cerri
An associate attorney with one of California's leading plaintiff's law firms, Lauren Cerri has worked on many high profile cases and achieved results at the highest level.
As co-counsel to attorney Robert Allard, Ms. Cerri helped attain a possible record $9.3 million jury verdict in Monterey County, which held Caltrans responsible for failing to fix a dangerous highway condition in a Highway 156 double-fatality wrongful death trucking accident.
Mr. Allard credits Ms. Cerri for moving the jury to award the damage verdict by skillfully showing the mother's emotional distress as she watched her young child die. "This case turned when jurors heard evidence, through direct testimony supplied by Ms. Cerri, from witnesses and first responders of a young mother witnessing the horrific death of her five-year-old child," said Mr. Allard, founding partner, Corsiglia McMahon & Allard, L.L.P.
Working with Mr. Allard, Ms. Cerri has litigated numerous high profile sex abuse cases involving the protection of children's rights.
In a case that drew worldwide attention Ms. Cerri and Mr. Allard pursued justice on behalf of the family of Audrie Pott, the young high school student who committed suicide after being publicly humiliated following her sexual assault committed by several of her classmates. Ms. Cerri drafted the complaint and the mediation brief and took numerous depositions. This case was settled in favor of the Pott family in April 2015 for $950,000.
Ms. Cerri was involved in a childhood sexual abuse lawsuit against one of California's largest day care corporations in which seven plaintiffs were represented by Corsiglia McMahon & Allard, L.L.P. The cases settled for an undisclosed amount following opening arguments, and also resulted in a seven figure jury verdict against a third party whose negligence was alleged to have also contributed to the occurrence of the assaults.
Ms. Cerri has a life-long commitment to helping childhood molestation victims seek civil justice against their molesters and/or those institutions that cover up for and protect those who molest.
"There is no question that Ms. Cerri has the empathy, sensitivity and experience to understand the effects of childhood sexual abuse," states Mr. Allard.
Ms. Cerri says that she was moved to help childhood sexual abuse victims as a result of seeing the effects that molestation had on a young girl years after she was abused. "The devastation to the child lasts a lifetime," says Ms. Cerri.
In teaming up with Mr. Allard to protect children, Ms. Cerri says that she is frequently asked, "How do you what you do? Isn't it difficult?" Her response is, "How can I not do what I do?"
Prior to moving to California, Ms. Cerri worked as an associate attorney at a personal injury law firm in Connecticut which represented hundreds of victims of childhood abuse against the area Diocese and religious institutions, as well as victims of sexual abuse perpetrated by family members, doctors, and teachers.
Ms. Cerri also has litigation experience in personal injury cases involving automobile accidents, premises liability, products liability, construction accidents, and municipal liability. She has successfully resolved numerous cases via jury trial, arbitration, mediation and pretrial settlement.
Ms. Cerri received her undergraduate degree from the University of Connecticut and her Juris Doctor from the University of Connecticut School of Law. She was rated as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in the area of personal injury in New England.
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT, J.D., 2008
- University of Connecticut, Hartford, CT, B.A., 2002
- California, 2012
- Connecticut, 2008
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors, 2014-Present
- Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Consumer Advocates of California, Member
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
Honors and Awards:
- Santa Clara County Attorney of the Year, 2016
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2015
- New England Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010
Past Employment Positions:
- The Veen Firm San Francisco, CA, Attorney, 2012-2013
- The Venardi Law Firm, Walnut Creek, CA, Contract Attorney, 2012
- Tremont & Sheldon, P.C., Bridgeport, CT, Associate, 2008-2011
- Tremont & Sheldon, P.C., Bridgeport, CT, Law Clerk, 2007-2008
- State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, Hartford, CT, Legal Intern, Office of the Chief Disciplinary Counsel, 2006
- Riscassi & Davis, P.C., Hartford, CT, Law Clerk (Full-Time Law Student Position), 2005-2007